- Departure from ZAGREB
- Excursion duration: 1 day
- Excursion for 1-7 persons
- Car rental with driver
- Opportunity of having a lunch and professional guide organised
- Distance from Zagreb: 80 km
Trakošćan was built in the late 13th century as part of the defense fortification network of the Zagorje principality. It was a small fortress serving as an observation post overlooking the road from Ptuj towards the Bednja valley. In the first few centuries of its existence, Trakošćan and the surrounding area were ruled by an unknown patrician family. The first known owners of Trakošćan were the Celjski family, who also ruled over the entire Zagorje principality, as well as Međimurje, Varaždin and large estates in the present-day Slovenia. When the family died out, Trakošćan shared the fate of their other estates and towns, passing from one owner to another and breaking up into ever smaller estates and holdings. The entire Trakošćan estate, with its fortress and the market town Kamenica, first passed into the possession of Jan Vitovec and then it was taken over by Ivaniš Korvin who presented it to his deputy Ban (Vice-Roy) Ivan Gyulay. This family held Trakošćan for three generations. When its last member died in 1566, the estate was taken over by the Royal Treasury. The king granted the estate to Cardinal and Croatian Ban Juraj Drašković for his personal use and as hereditary property. Thus, in 1584 the Drašković family gained possession of Trakošćan. They remained its hereditary owners, with one brief interruption, until World War II. Little is known about the shape of the original fortress. Traces of it may be found in the thick walls of the north-east wing, the central tower and the entrance tower on the south-east side. The Gyulay family, who lived in the castle, added onto it, and the second generation of the Drašković family enlarged it con¬siderably by adding the west tower. This round tower served as an artillery station equipping the castle for active firearms defense. The coat of arms and the inscription bear witness to the fact that it was built by the brothers Ivan II and Petar Drašković in 1592. It was then that Trakošćan acquired its present-day dimensions, as witnessed by the earliest surviving account dating from 1667.
The most prominent pieces in furniture collection are those dating from the 19th century and specially manufactured for the restored castle, some bearing the family coat of arms. However, the furniture from the earlier centuries should not be passed over lightly. We wish to draw attention to several cabinets, a bed and wardrobes from the same period, and several high-quality sets of furniture from the rococo period.
Beautifulpark wood surrounding Trakošćan, and also great lake . Trakošćan is one of the most beautifully formed and well-kept parks with rich vegetation, full with interesting views, panoramas and atmospheres. It offers unique experiences of untouched nature.
An English style park consisting of the lake, meadows, different species of trees and bushes, makes a unique horticultural landscape. The park partially developed from the autochthonous forest of the sessile oak and common hornbeam.
Different species of exotic trees were planted in the park so if you visit it in the autumn you can enjoy the variety of the colours. Because of the coniferous species which can be found at the height of 250 m above sea level here (especially fir tree) we can say for sure that there has been a vegetation shift (species characteristic for the higher levels above sea can be found on the lower hills and vice versa).
The big artificial lake- 1,5 kilometers long, 17 hectares large and 2,5 meters deep- makes the castle recognizable and gives it a special charm. The water can reach the temperature of 22 degrees in the summer and in the winter its surface freezes and it stays frozen for about 3 months. The lake had two functions: aesthetic and economic- it was a fish pond and it was a decorative part of an English style park
Veliki Tabor is one of the best preserved medieval castles in Croatia. It is located in region of Hrvatsko zagorje, known for many aristocratic castles. After receantly finished conservation it shined with new glow and again became a very popular destination.
The Veliki Tabor castle is located in the northwestern part of Hrvatsko zagorje province, three kilometres northwest of Desinić.
Its name originates from the term tabor which was used to represent war camp, i.e. fortifications that were used as protection against Turkish invasion.
The city consists of a narrow core which constitutes of a central pentagonal turret and masonry ring with four semicircular towers that surround it, and an outer defensive wall with pertaining building structure.
ETHNO VILLAGE KUMROVEC
The idea to include the old village centre of Kumrovec in the protection of historical monuments project was born as early as 1947 when Marijana Gusic, the then head of the Zagreb Ethnographical Museum, made an ethnographic research of the Croatian Zagorje and wrote a study on the town of Kumrovec with the birth-place of Josip Broz as its most significant sight. The experts of the Zagreb Museum of Arts and Crafts restored the house to its original condition. Additionaly, the grounds were landscaped and in 1948 a monument to Josip Broz Tito by Antun Augustincic, academic sculptor, was erected in the courtyard. The cultural-historical and the fine arts sections of the museum display were established in 1950 by the academic painter Edo Kovacevic and Prof. Zdenko Vojnovic, director of the Museum of Arts and Crafts. Prof. Gusic. was in charge of renovation of the interior of the Broz family house.
In the years that followed further construction and horticultural work took place in addition to collection of objects wherewith to furnish the house interior. In 1953 the Marshal Tito Memorial Museum was set up as a division of the Zagreb Ethnographic Museum. Professor Gusic, head of the Memorial Museum, has in the period 1952-1954 been working on a plan for restoration of the old town centre of Kumrovec. Based on the principles of the restoration-museological method she elaborated a comprehensive catalogue comprising 61 houses with maps and lists of households. Drawing on this catalogue of houses, Ana Deanovic PhD, from the Croatian Restoration Institute wrote a study on protection of the old village of Kumrovec in collaboration with a team of museum experts, architects and urbanists. As a protected rural entity, “Staro Selo” (The Old Village), was listed in the register of the monuments of culture in 1969.
In 1963 the administration of the Staro Selo Museum was taken over by the Museum of Revolution of the Croatian People from Zagreb. Several years later a museum called Kumrovec Museum in Creation was established. The museum operated under this name until 1978 when the Kumrovec Memorial Park was set up. Since 1992 the Staro Selo Museum has been run as a department of the Croatian Zagorje Museums with its headquarters in Gornja Stubica.
The Staro Selo Museum is the only open-air museum in Croatia that is equipped with all facilities with which to justify its existence as a European open-air museum.
|Price in euro per person|
|1 person||199 €|
|2 persons||114 €|
|3 persons||90 €|
|4-7 persons||82 €|
PRICE INCLUDE :
- Car with all accesorize
- Ticket for castle Trakošćan
- Ticket for castle Veliki Tabor
- Ticket for Etno Village Kumrovec